This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure for more info.
So, confession. This burger doesn't actually have Teriyaki sauce, which typically includes soy sauce, sake, and sugar - all of which aren't Whole30-compliant. Instead it introduces a Whole30-friendly favorite: coconut aminos!
Sourced from the sap of the coconut tree, the coconut aminos in this recipe is what gives it the same sweet-yet-salty umami flavor you'd expect from a classic Teriyaki burger, but with 2-14 times the amino acid content of typical soy and a whopping 65% less sodium! Yes, please!
Deconstructed "Teriyaki" burger (WHOLE30/PALEO-Friendly)
- 4 grass-fed beef burger patties (Make your own! Or use pre-made/frozen patties - read your labels, as always!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 pineapple spears
- Salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs and spices
- 2 small avocados
- 1/2 cup Whole30-compliant salsa verde (watch for added sugar!)
- Make up your burger patties on the stove top! Heat up a pan, add the coconut oil, and throw on the patties when ready. This tutorial from Kitchn will teach you how to make the PERFECT burger. If you're tight on time, Trader Joe's has some great grass-fed angus burger patties in the frozen section.
- While the burger patties are cooking on the stove top, make the Smashed Avo. It's super easy! Just take 2 small ripe avocados (or 1 large one), mash it up in a bowl using a fork, and add the salsa verde (again, Trader Joe's has a great compliant salsa verde). That's it!
- It's time for the "Teriyaki" Sauce! In another small bowl, add the Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo and stir in the coconut aminos. You can adjust the coconut aminos to change the consistency and flavor.
- Once your burger patties are done, it's time to plate! Lay down a bed of your favorite greens and roasted sweet potato or smashed plantains. Place The Burger, top with the Smashed Avo, and add a dollop of the "Teriyaki" Sauce! Lightly sprinkle with your favorite herbs or seasoning, add the pineapple spear to the side, and your ready to go!
MEET HAPPY HEALTHY JOE
Joseph Struhs (LA-based certified health coach) is an essential oil educator and wellness passionisto by day, marketing consultant for health pros by night! When he's not working, you can catch him fitting in a workout at the gym or getting crazy in the kitchen.