This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my affiliate disclosure for more info.
Pizza...it's what's for dinner! 😛🍕
After pinpointing my food sensitivities , "pizza" became a bit of a curse word for me. 🐮🍞🙅🏼♂️ But, after playing around in the kitchen a bit, I whipped up a satisfying, nutritious alternative: protein-packed cauliflower crust that I could top with whatever my heart desired!
Find the Protein-Packed Paleo Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe below, along with with a bonus Turmeric Cashew "Cheese" Sauce recipe!
Pro-tip: I love to stock up on a lot of my go-to healthy dry goods and superfoods at Thrive Market! They have a great discounts on a lot of natural living products and my favorite healthy pantry items.
Protein-packed PALEO CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
Makes 2 single-serving pizza crusts.
- 1 small head of cauliflower (or a 1 lb bag of riced cauliflower)
- 2 whole pasture-raised eggs
- 3 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp coconut flour or almond flour
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Cooking spray (Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray is a great option)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rice the cauliflower. If you are using a whole cauliflower head, chop into pieces and add to a blender or food processor (I love my Blendtec Designer 725!) until the cauliflower reaches your desired consistency.
- Lightly steam the cauliflower in a saucepan, for about 5 minutes until softened. Add back to blender, and puree until smooth.
- Place the cauliflower puree into a nut-milk bag (Ellie's Best is a great brand! You can get 10% off using the coupon code Joe10), and squeeze the excess water out into a bowl Allow the puree to sit for a few minutes, and squeeze again. Discard drained water.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Lay parchment paper on either a cookie sheet or pizza stone, grease with healthy cooking spray, and spread the dough into two mini-pizza crusts. Because of the nature of this crust, I recommend not to spread the crust too thin - between 1/4-1/2 inch thick will help the crust maintain its shape and not crack.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes (until the crust is fairly firm) and carefully flip the crust. Cook for another 10 minutes so that both sides are cooked properly.
- Remove from oven and add the toppings of your choice (in this case, I topped my mini pizzas with organic tomato marinara, sliced Kalamata olives, baby spinach, diced heirloom tomatoes, and my turmeric cashew "cheese" spread!) and place back in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove to cool, and have at it!
Turmeric Cashew "cheese" Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews (soak overnight, if desired)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper and Himalayan pink salt
- In a high-speed blender (my Blendtec Designer 725 with the Twister Jar does the trick), add all ingredients. Blend until creamy and thick.
And that's about it! It works perfectly as a pizza topping, or is a great dip or sauce. Store in a mason jar or a glass container of your choice, and refrigerate. It will stay good for about a week.
MEET HAPPY HEALTHY JOE
Joe Struhs (LA-based certified health coach) is an essential oil educator and wellness passionisto by day, marketing consultant for health pros by night! When he's not working, you can catch him fitting in a workout at the gym or getting crazy in the kitchen.